Hydro excavation trucks have been around for a while now, and they are used for various applications. However, if you have never worked with one before it might be difficult to choose the right one for your job in the event that you need one. As common as they may be very few people know what to look for when hiring one or the qualities that define a good hydro excavation truck.
There are many hydro-excavation trucks out there, and they come in different sizes and forms with each one of them having its own features. To make sure that you choose the right truck for your job should consider the following important things before making your decision.
The Purpose or Application
What do you need the truck for? This is the most important question that you need to answer before going out to look for the truck. Nowadays hydro excavation trucks are used for any things, and different trucks work well for various projects. Before hiring a truck, you should consider the type and scale of your project so that you might get a suitable truck.
Type of soil
The kind of soil that you will be working on is an important factor that you should consider especially if you are doing a potholing project. Some types of soil like clay are difficult but not impossible because it is very sticky. However, there are many solutions to these soil problems like the use of polymers and detergents.
The water system is what will determine the capability or strength of the truck. Water is what will be used to displace the soil, and so it has to have enough pressure to do this. High-pressure levels allow for unsurpassed strength and ensure that you can displace more soil fast. A truck with a water pressure of 4000 PSI will be able to do most jobs efficiently.
Ease of Operation
The job itself is already difficult enough, and so the excavation truck should make things even more difficult. A modern excavation truck utilizes the latest technologies in the sector to make operations as easy as possible. Some of the technologies that make operation easy include the use of mobile control for most of the common functions.
Most trucks come with an automatic vacuum breaker shut off for safety purposes. This feature automatically shuts down the entire system to prevent wastewater discharge and overfilling. With a truck that has this feature, you will never have to worry about overfilling the tank no matter its size. This feature is also used to halt operations in case of an emergency. Besides this, there are also many other safety features that are fitted in this truck and they should play an important role when choosing hydro excavation trucks.
Size of Spoil Tank
Stopping after a couple of hours to empty the spoil tank will lead to a delay in the completion of your project. The only way to avoid this is by selecting a tank with a bigger capacity. However, it is important to note that the larger the size of the tank the bigger the truck and hence also the higher the cost.
The Benefits of Using Hydro Excavation Trucks
- Reduces the risks associated with digging in places where there are live utilities. The use of the trucks also reduces the danger of damaging these important utilities while still ensuring you get to do your job efficiently.
- Use of the tracks reduces the cost and time of potholing. Provides you get the right truck you will be able to get the job done in a fraction of the time you would have used with other potholing equipment.
- They can be used to excavate in tight or least accessible places such as areas crowded with buried cables and pipes. Large excavation equipment cannot be use in such areas due to the potential damage they can cause.
- Offers unlimited versatility for the clean-up of sites after the completion of a project.
- Can be used to make small holes. Such small holes can be used to repair pipes or pipe joints without disturbing the other pipes or the rest of the pipe. This makes such